Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Outlander and Diana Gabaldon


            This week I was fortunate enough to get to listen to one of my favorite authors speak. Yes, Diana Gabaldon, author of the fantastic Outlander series, was in Fairfax for a book signing.
            I will start by saying that if you haven’t read Outlander, you really need to pick it up. I was sitting next to a man who had come to the event by himself. He asked me why I thought about 95% of the people there were female. Why didn’t men read Diana’s books too? He – along with the speaker who introduced Diana – pointed out that her books cross so many genres, there’s pretty much something for everyone. Is it a romance? Well, there’s a romantic story, but that’s not all it is. Saying it’s historical fiction doesn’t cover it either. And then there’s the time travel element, which kind of makes it science fiction. Whatever it is, her stories are fantastic!

Diana Gabaldon
Sam, my partner in crime that evening,
took this pic. Thanks, Sam!

            Also, if you ever have the chance to hear her speak, go! She talks like she writes - you’ll understand if you’ve read her stuff – so she had us totally entertained and wanting more at the same time. 

4 comments:

  1. How frigging awesome is that! I went to Jen Lancaster's book signing and she had me both in awe and in stiches from laughing so hard. It's like meeting a rock star ;)
    - Heather The Evil Twin with Love from the A to Z Challenge @thewinetwins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the book. Thank you for the introduction. I'll go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Outlander a long time ago and I enjoyed it. She's a great writer.

    Nice to meet you on the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm glad you had a good time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete