Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thursday 13: New Orleans Cocktail Recipes

Hey y’all, it’s Rachel here, taking over the blog today. After my writer’s recent trip to my hometown, I had the undeniable urge to get out of her head and stretch my legs a bit. It feels good!

Well, now that I’m sprung from my mental purgatory, what am I planning to do with my newfound freedom? Have a drink! Yes, you heard me. Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve had a margarita? I don’t have words to tell you how tragically sober I am right now.

At least here in the French Quarter, I’ll have no problems finding a good cocktail – if I bothered to look outside of Voodoo Pete’s, that is! Sadly, for those not fortunate enough to live in the Big Easy, you may have to take bartending into your own hands. Here are a few classic New Orleans recipes as well as some of my favorites to help you turn your living room into your favorite French Quarter bar.

  1. Margarita – My favorite! You gotta have salt and a wedge of lime, but forget about those mixes. Frozen is optional, so long as you have one of those Magic Bullet blenders.
    • 1 oz tequila
    • 1 oz triple sec
    • 1 oz lime juice


  2. Hurricane – “Hurricane, feel no pain,” as they say! This is one of the most popular drinks on Bourbon Street.
    • 1 oz dark rum
    • 4 oz pineapple juice
    • 2 oz orange juice
    • ¼ oz grenadine

  3. Sazerac – A bartender recently told my writer that this drink was essentially a prettied up shot of bourbon. He was right, but it’s still tasty and an old New Orleans classic!
    • 2 oz bourbon
    • ¼ teaspoon Pernod
    • 3 dashes bitters
    • 1 teaspoon simple syrup
    • Serve over ice with a lemon twist
  4. Rum Punch – One of my writer’s husband’s favorites!
    • 1 oz dark rum
    • ½ oz Orgeat
    • 2 oz orange juice
    • 1 oz pineapple juice
  5. Mint Julep
    • 10 mint leaves
    • 2 tsp simple syrup
    • 2 oz bourbon
    • Muddle the mint and syrup together before adding ice and bourbon.
  6. Mojito
    • 10 mint leaves
    • ½ oz fresh lime juice
    • 2 tbsp simple syrup
    • 1 ½ oz light rum
    • 4 oz club soda
    • Muddle the mint, lime juice, and syrup together before adding the rest of the ingredients.
  7. Zombie – A wicked voodoo recipe!
    • 1 oz dark rum
    • 2 oz light rum
    • ½ oz 151 rum
    • 1 oz triple sec
    • 1 oz lemon juice
    • 1 oz orange juice
    • ½ oz grenadine
    • ¼ tsp dash Pernod
  8. Key Lime Martini – Soooo good! It tastes just like a key lime pie if you rim the glass with crushed graham cracker!
    • 1 ½ oz Liquor 43
    • ½ oz vanilla rum
    • 1 oz lime juice
    • 1 oz cream
  9. Triple Goddess Shot – Here’s a super yummy shot, thanks to Lyre! Layer Kahlua, Irish Cream, and Godiva chocolate liqueur in equal parts if you’re sober, or mix it all together if you’ve already had a couple.
  10. Adios Motherfucker – Call this one AMF if you’re in polite company! Guaranteed to knock you on your ass.
    • ½ oz vodka
    • ½ oz rum
    • ½ oz tequila
    • ½ oz gin
    • ½ oz blue curacao
    • 2 oz sour mix
    • 2 oz 7up (Shake the rest of the ingredients together before adding this one on top!)
  11. Shirley Temple’s Evil Twin – Of course I like any twin-named drink!
    • 1 ½ oz cherry brandy
    • 1 tsp grenadine
    • 4 oz 7up
  12. Hemingway Daiquiri – My writer’s new favorite drink.
    • 1 ½ oz light rum
    • ¼ oz white grapefruit juice
    • ½ oz lime juice
    • ¼ oz simple syrup
    • ¼ oz maraschino liqueur
  13. Mai Tai – If a bartender ever gives you a red Mai Tai, send it back! This drink isn’t girly, fruity, wimpy, or made with grenadine! Here’s a simplified version of the original 1944 recipe by Trader Vic.
    • 2 oz rum (I like a golden rum like Appleton)
    • ½ oz triple sec
    • ½ oz Orgeat (This is an almond syrup. Very yummy! You can get it online or in some specialty stores.)
    • 1 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
    • Serve over crushed ice and garnish with the lime rind and fresh mint.
I begged Voodoo Pete to give me the recipe for his Love Potion #9 concoction, but sadly, he refused. I guess you'll just have to take your own vacation to Nola to experience it for yourself!

Thanks for coming by to chat with me today! And remember... it's always 5 o'clock somewhere!

-Rachel

1 comment: