Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Voodoo - A to Z Challenge


Today, I’ll be arriving in Salem, Massachusetts. When you think of Salem, you probably think of witches, in much the same way that you probably think of New Orleans and voodoo. Both are favorite cities of mine, and I’ve been in my fair share of both witchy and voodoo shops.


Louisiana and Haitian voodoo and Wicca don’t have a lot in common when it comes to religion. But both religions tend to be very misunderstood, and both use magic.

I’m not an expert when it comes to voodoo, but I like to think I’m an expert shopper! And for me, the biggest similarity in religions is that I like to SHOP in both voodoo and witchcraft stores! I tend to find similar things them: herbs, candles, oils, tarot cards, ritual kits, and jewelry. Some kind of tarot reader or psychic is usually available in both kinds of stores too.

I love finding hand-crafted items and meeting the unique people who work in the shops – and I do mean that in the nicest possible way! My friend, Sam, owns a witchcraft shop, and she and her employees are some of my closest friends.

I think I’ve wandered a bit off topic… well, anyway, my final word is about being misunderstood. Voodoo (and witchcraft) is not what you see on TV and movies. You might be surprised how many people come into Sam’s shop asking about Harry Potter spells.

But just in case I’m wrong...

... don’t piss off a witch! 

(Kidding!!! So seriously kidding! Don’t burn me at the stake or anything! Lol!)

2 comments:

  1. As a mother (YOURS!) I need to say something about Wicca for those readers who are afraid or misunderstand. When you first got involved in Wicca, I tried to be open minded and watched the rituals and listened to the message being delivered. I was amazed to find that your rituals are not unlike any other religious service. There is an invocation, a sermon and some sort of closure. Of course, it's done differently and called by other names, but it is basically the same type of service. So for those of you who have never experienced Wicca or any sort of different religious service, try it and be open to something new. It's all about spirtuality and love and doing the right thing. Isn't that what we all want? There is too much hate and fear in the world.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that people actually come looking for spells from Harry Potter. I do wonder if they actually realize it's fiction! Just stopping by from the Challenge. A fellow paranormal romance author. :)

    ReplyDelete