Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for Tarot - A to Z Challenge


Many people think tarot card readers are like the voodoo priestess in my book – a gnarled old woman who speaks in stilted, ominous phrases. I’ve seen psychics who dress for the job, maybe adopt a breathy voice, but I view that more as acting a part, like a role on stage. It makes business sense because it’s what people expect. (Disclaimer: To be fair, some adopt this look because it’s their style and that’s cool. I’m not saying people who dress the part do or don’t read cards well – I’m saying that it has no bearing either way.)

But in general, the truth is a bit more mundane than that. When my husband reads cards, he shows up in jeans, sometimes a Monty Python tee shirt, and sneakers. Not very mystical, is he? Yet his clients tell me how accurate he is, and he really is kinda scary. (And I’m not just talking about what his hair looks like first thing in the morning!)

There’s a truth in here somewhere about not judging a book by its cover… or a tarot card reader by his robes. 

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have a tarot reading/palm reading etc, but it's hard to find good ones. I went to one with my mum once, and when the guy finished telling her about her marriage and future, he asked her for a date!! I took my reading with a pinch of salt after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that, Annalisa! I am Jen's husband. Contact me at hierophant@cox.net and I will be honored to read your tarot cards without doing anything inappropriate like hitting on your mom. I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete