We’ve made it through the latest hurricane with minimal damage – maybe a tiny leak in the window – but no power outages and no flooding or anything truly bad. We got lucky. Yes, we live inland, but many of our local friends have been without power for a day now, not to mention the reports I’m hearing of trees falling on houses, cars, fences… And that’s just here in Northern Virginia. I feel awful for those people in the hard hit areas of Virginia, New Jersey, New York, and everyone else in the path of the storm.
Certainly, we didn’t do well in this storm because of any decent level of preparedness on my part. Here’s what my hurricane kit looked like:
Let me give you a run-down on it.
- Water – This was John’s contribution, likely the most useful item here if we actually had lost power.
- Flashlight – Necessary if I want to read my…
- Kindle – When in doubt, read.
- Candle and lighter – Yankee Cozy Cabin scent.
- Settlers of Catan – An excellent board game that can be played by fall-fragranced candlelight in the event of a power outage.
- Rum – For when we truly get bored.
- Cat laser – For when the cats get bored.
Yes, I know. Pathetic. But you gotta think about cat entertainment when a massive hurricane is headed in your direction! What non-essential things made it to your hurricane kit this week?