Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Movies: Thursday 13


I’ve been watching a bunch of horror movies this month leading up to Halloween. There are a lot of great (as well as awful) movies, but here are a few of my all-time favorites:
  1. The Exorcist – This one still scares the crap out of me every time I watch it! To be honest, I can’t even put it on anymore. But it makes it the favorites list because I think (at least for me) it’s the scariest movie of all time.
  2. Scream – This movie channels all of the classic scares into one snarky, awesome, bloody package.
  3. 28 Days Later – Zombies! Need I say more?
  4. Resident Evil – Video game-inspired zombies!
  5. Bram Stoker’s Dracula – Classic horror with Winona, Sir Anthony, and the amazing Gary Oldman. This movie was awesome enough to even put up with Keanu’s “acting.”
  6. Underworld – Kate Beckinsale just plain kicks ass.
  7. The Omen – Make sure to watch the original version – so creepy! “It’s all for you, Damien!” *shudder*
  8. Contagion – This movie is so frightening because it’s so realistic.
  9. Aliens – I know, I know. It’s a sequel. Alien was amazing and suspenseful, but Alien*s* is infinitely scarier. What would you rather face: one alien or hundreds? No contest.
  10. The Skeleton Key – New Orleans and voodoo… yay!
  11. The Craft – No, this isn’t what witches really do (that would never be exciting enough for a horror movie!), but it’s just plain wicked fun!
  12. Wicker Man – Watch the classic version. Sure, it’s a campy, 70’s, half-ass musical/horror film, but the end is chilling.
  13. The Shining – Again, the original version is the best. Jack Nicholson makes this entire movie! As always, no movie can capture the nuance and terror of Stephen King’s books, but it’s a good movie in it’s own right. That being said, if you haven’t, go read the book! And did you hear? He’s working on a sequel to The Shining now! Horror squee!!!

There’s a sneak peak into my fears! What are your favorite horror movies? What scares you?

8 comments:

  1. Nothing scares me, but Kate does kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Omen, The Shining, and Nightmare on Elm St. (the original) are ones that scare me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post! I love Salem's Lot (the original). Yeah it's old (late 70s) I think, but there's just something about it. The Other is another really cool old one. I've never tried to watch The Exorcist. Even the THOUGHT of attempting it creeps me out, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a great list! Have you ever seen Skinwalkers or Insidious? Those are two of my favorites, and Insidious actually freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some good suggestions! I really do like the old school movies - Salem's Lot is a great one. I put Insidious on my to-watch list too... looks scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fan of old school as well, original Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St., Silver Bullet, Nosferatu...although I don't think anything is scarier then Kristy Swanson as Buffy *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - the Buffy movie IS truly frightening! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I received a couple of movie suggestions from one of my friends this week via text: Deadgirl and Insidious, which Shauna mentioned too. It's been moved to the top of my to-watch list!

    ReplyDelete