I’ve been watching a bunch of horror movies this month leading up to Halloween. There are a lot of great (as well as awful) movies, but here are a few of my all-time favorites:
- The Exorcist – This one still scares the crap out of me every time I watch it! To be honest, I can’t even put it on anymore. But it makes it the favorites list because I think (at least for me) it’s the scariest movie of all time.
- Scream – This movie channels all of the classic scares into one snarky, awesome, bloody package.
- 28 Days Later – Zombies! Need I say more?
- Resident Evil – Video game-inspired zombies!
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula – Classic horror with Winona, Sir Anthony, and the amazing Gary Oldman. This movie was awesome enough to even put up with Keanu’s “acting.”
- Underworld – Kate Beckinsale just plain kicks ass.
- The Omen – Make sure to watch the original version – so creepy! “It’s all for you, Damien!” *shudder*
- Contagion – This movie is so frightening because it’s so realistic.
- Aliens – I know, I know. It’s a sequel. Alien was amazing and suspenseful, but Alien*s* is infinitely scarier. What would you rather face: one alien or hundreds? No contest.
- The Skeleton Key – New Orleans and voodoo… yay!
- The Craft – No, this isn’t what witches really do (that would never be exciting enough for a horror movie!), but it’s just plain wicked fun!
- Wicker Man – Watch the classic version. Sure, it’s a campy, 70’s, half-ass musical/horror film, but the end is chilling.
- The Shining – Again, the original version is the best. Jack Nicholson makes this entire movie! As always, no movie can capture the nuance and terror of Stephen King’s books, but it’s a good movie in it’s own right. That being said, if you haven’t, go read the book! And did you hear? He’s working on a sequel to The Shining now! Horror squee!!!
There’s a sneak peak into my fears! What are your favorite horror movies? What scares you?