Friday, May 13, 2011

Thursday 13: Things I'm looking forward to in New Orleans

(Note: This really was posted on Thursday before Blogger had its little hiccough!) 


John and I are renting a house on the edge of the French Quarter for a week. We leave in 18 days and 17 hours (but who's counting)! The last time I was in New Orleans was only a couple weeks before Katrina, and I'm so glad to finally be going back. Here's a few things I'm planning to do there:


  1. Book research. My first book takes place in New Orleans, and I’m currently working on a sequel. What better way to capture the flavor of this fabulous city than to do a bit of writing while I’m there.
  2. Drinking a hurricane. A little rum on Bourbon Street… okay, it’s probably more accurate to say a lot of rum.
  3. Dueling piano bar. Pat O’Brien’s is also famous for their hurricanes. How serendipitous! And it’s always fun to make the pianists play “Bohemian Rhapsody.”
  4. Hot tub!
  5. Shopping at the French Market. Shopping... need I say more?
  6. Ordering a muffuletta from Central Grocery. What is a muffuletta, you ask? It’s an enormous sandwich made with Italian meats and cheeses and topped with olive salad.
  7. Live jazz music. You can’t sling a dead cat in this town without hitting a jazz musician. Not that I’d want to sling a cat, dead or alive, or hit a musician, jazz or otherwise.
  8. Voodoo shops. Metaphysical stuff + shopping = happiness.
  9. Beignets and café au lait. There is no other way to start the morning in New Orleans, at least as far as I’m concerned.
  10. Aquarium. Have I ever been to a city with an aquarium and NOT visited it? I think not.
  11. St. Louis Cemetery #1. Okay, potentially morbid, but it is a key location in my next book!
  12. Karaoke at the Cat’s Meow. Yes, enough hurricanes (see #2!) and I have been known to do karaoke.
  13. Relaxing!

No comments:

Post a Comment